»ANIMA« is a sculptural installation developed to explore the relationship between itself and its surroundings through the use of movement, texture, light and sound. The installation consists of a giant glowing sphere measuring two meters in diameter. This larger-than-life entity is suspended from the ceiling, as if in mid-air, in a darkened room. The luminescent sculpture acts as the sole light source for the space, drawing viewers in as it reacts to their presence. Visuals of a viscous metallic fluid envelop the globe’s surface creating an intriguing and mysterious ambiance as textures distort and flow around the shape. The reaction of the programmed light formations is a remediation of the surroundings, feasting on its environment to create an immersive and interactive experience of light and sound.
Fluid shimmering patterns flow around a luminescent orb suspended in space as tones oscillate in the room. »ANIMA« is an entity that modifies sound and visuals as it reacts to and forages in its environment. This continuous exchange between viewer and sculpture unites them in a perpetual discourse through an interactive soundscape and visuals.
The spherical projection is achieved from inside the globe with a powerful wide angle projector and fisheye lens, producing images in a full 360 degree directional beam. Modulating frequencies audible in the installation respond to those in the space as sound is picked up and resonated back as feedback to the atmosphere.
Through this process of refining behavior and visual complexity, »ANIMA« becomes life-like and impressive. Installed in the round, the piece is experienced from all sides. In a unique way, »ANIMA« creates an intelligent reactive dialogue with all bodies within its surroundings. The sculpture takes on an ethereal life of its own, as it and the viewer continue their dynamic exchange. Participants, the orb and soundscape combine to perpetually influence each other and create an immersive and captivating experience.
Initially a work commissioned for the Amsterdam Dance Event, the installation has since toured and exhibited at various galleries and events in the Netherlands and Berlin such as LEHRTER SIEBZEHN, TEDxDelft, the Kantor Art & Technology festival and the Van Gogh Museum.
- Collaboration with: Nick Verstand, Frouke ten Velden
- Creative Direction: onformative
- Design: Mick van Olst, João da Fonseca
- Code: João Fonseca
- Audio development: Geert Schaap
- Hardware Provider: Pufferfish
- Location & Support: LehrterSiebzehn
- Lumen Prize – Shortlist 2016
- FWA of the Day 2016
- Design Museum Gent, 2020
- Highlight Delft, Delft 2020
- Wonderspaces, San Diego, 2019
- Fondation EDF/Nuit Blanche, Paris, 2018
- Ars Electronica Animation Festival, Linz 2017
- Design Society, Shenzhen 2017
- Leeds International Festival, Leeds 2017
- SXSW, Austin 2016
- MTA Festival, Beijing 2016
- Van Gogh Museum, Amsterdam 2015
- TEDx, Delft 2014
- LEHRTER SIEBZEHN, Berlin 2014
- Kantor Art & Technology Festival, Amsterdam 2014
- ADE Playground, VolksHotel, Amsterdam 2014